If Iwanted to adopt a baby doI haveto go through an adoption agency?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwanted to adopt a baby doI haveto go through an adoption agency?

I have this friend who wants to put her son up for adoption when she gives birth and I want to adopt him. Do we have to go though an adoption agency to do that?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Private adoptions, or adoptions without going through an adoption agency, are legal, but can be tremendously tricky--the courts and the law, understandably, put a lot of safeguards in place to make sure both that a person does not give up her parental righs when she did not truly want to, and also that children are only adopted by those who will look after their interests. These safeguards make adoption, correctly, difficult--it should not be easy to make an irrevocable change affecting people's lives.

Consult with an attorney with expertise in this area, and let him or her guide you; do not try to arrange this on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption