Do city cops have to have a state trooper persent when conducting a checkpoint traffic stop on a state highway?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do city cops have to have a state trooper persent when conducting a checkpoint traffic stop on a state highway?

I went through a road block/checkpoint on a state highway. There were 3 city cops but no state trooper present. It was within the jurisdiction of the city but out of the city limits.

Asked on September 17, 2019 under General Practice, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If it was "within the jurisdiction of the city" as you write, then it was within the area where city police officers had legal power (they have authority within the city's jurisdiction). They did not need to have a state trooper with them, even if was a state road, since they enforce the law within the city's jurisdiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption