In Texas, is an unsigned non-compete agreement enforceable?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Texas, is an unsigned non-compete agreement enforceable?

I am an associate chiropractor who has been working for six months in a practice without having signed the offered agreement because the owner has not corrected the non-compete language that does not contain a time limit. Before leaving my current position I want to start my own clinic but I would like to avoid any legal problems with my current employer. .

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A noncompetitive agreement must be limited in time and scope.  It can't be an indefinite period of time and/or an indefinite geographic area.  The limitations must be reasonable.  A court can modify a non-competitive agreement that is overbroad.  The agreement you described is unenforceable.  Also, since you haven't signed it, you are not bound by it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption