If a mother dies and then father dies 7 months later with no will, what happens?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a mother dies and then father dies 7 months later with no will, what happens?

One or two children disagree on what to do.

Asked on April 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  You need to consult with an attorney here.  If all the assets of your Mother's estate were jointly held with your Father then they passed to her automatically upon his death. There would have been no need for probate of your Mother's estate. Then upon his death they would pass by intestacy statute in West Virginia.  That statute "asks" a lot of questions like are the children that are left all children of both parents, etc.  So the particulars of your family are important.  If there were asets of your parents that were not jointly held then half of those assets would have to be probated in your Mother's estate first.  This is all very complicated and you need help sorting it out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption