If my mother passed away owning a home, does the house have to be sold before the estate can be closed?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother passed away owning a home, does the house have to be sold before the estate can be closed?

The estate must be closed within 2 years of PR appointment. What if it does not sell?

Asked on January 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Are you trying to sell it? Well, you can go back and ask for an extension. You can try lowering the amount and working with the lender to obtain a short sale if the home is subject to a mortgage loan.  These are the best options available to you.  If the home can be rented out, then the fiduciary responsibility is met to not lay waste to the estate for any potential beneficiaries. You can have this be a new motion in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption