If Ihave a renter who’s lease has expired, do I just send him a certified letter to move out or do I have to formally evict him?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave a renter who’s lease has expired, do I just send him a certified letter to move out or do I have to formally evict him?

He is also 2 months behind in rent. I need to get him out so I can put the house on the market.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your renter's lease has expired and you do not want him or her to remain as a tenant, you need to serve the tenant with a 30 day notice of eviction. It can be hand delivered or mailed certified mail return receipt requested. Since the tenant is two months behind in rent, you should serve him with a 3 day notice to pay or quit rather than the 30 day notice.

I suggest that you first speak with the tenant about your intentions so that the notice does not come as a complete surprise. From what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to assist you in the issue you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption