Can you remove someone from a title to Real Estate in order to avoid having the IRS seize the property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you remove someone from a title to Real Estate in order to avoid having the IRS seize the property?

My father has deeded property to my brother and my nephew. There is no mortgage on the property and my father owns outright. It is a right of survivorship but my brother is having problems with the IRS. If my father removes his name from the title and has the property going to my nephew, is that legal or illegal or not accepted? What can he do to protect this property that has been in the family for 200 years?

Asked on December 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Pay the IRS: that's how you protect it. Once you are aware of a potential debt, any property or asset transfer, unless it is for fair market value (e.g. your father or nephew paying your brother the fair value of his interest in the property), will be seen as "fraud" on any actual or potential creditors (like the IRS) and can be voided, or undone, so that the creditors can get to the property. You can't transfer ownership to avoid a known debt or obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption