In regards to support, if one of the parents lives in a multiple income household is the calculated child support affected?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In regards to support, if one of the parents lives in a multiple income household is the calculated child support affected?

Should the expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities) of the re-married parent be reduced as a result of the income contribution of the spouse?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the answer here is no, the income of the new spouse is not used to calculate the child support payments and the percentages of each of the parities.  The new spouse has no legal obligation to support the step child.  That is the sole obligation of the parent.  I know that this may sound as if it is in some way unfair but really think about it: would any one then get married of their income was to be subject to an order for some one they have no legal ties to?  Double check with an attorney in your area on this.  In some states the courts may take note of the income on some level.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption