What to do if in our divorce decree my ex-husband is supposed to be responsible for paying for our kids’ insurance but he has not?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if in our divorce decree my ex-husband is supposed to be responsible for paying for our kids’ insurance but he has not?

They are insured through my work, so he is supposed to pay me but never has. Who do I talk to/what do I do to get all the insurance payments he has missed (4 months now) and future payments?

Asked on December 20, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can have your ex-husband held in contempt of court for failure to comply with the terms of your divorce decree.  
You will need an Order to Show Cause (court form), your declaration signed under penalty of perjury and any supporting documents establishing your ex-husband's failure to comply with your divorce decree.  With the Order to Show Cause, you will need to schedule a hearing on the contempt of court issue.  Serve your ex-husband by mail with all the documents you file with the court so that he will have notice of the hearing.
It would be advisable to check with your attorney or the court clerk to be certain that you have filed all of the required documents to pursue contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption