Do I have to have a certain amout of land for a mobil home/doublewide?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to have a certain amout of land for a mobil home/doublewide?

I have 1.4 acres of land. I want to put a doublewide or single on it for my daughter and have a couple of people tell her that it’s a law in our state that you half to have 5 or more acres in order to put a single or doublewide on it. I’ve never herd of this but would like to know for sure.

Asked on December 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally, lot size is regulated at the local (e.g. municipal or county) level, not the state level, and a brief search reveals no OH state laws regarding required acreage. If there is any such acreage minimum, it would most likely be found in local ordinances: the best thing to do is to go to the town/city building or housing department and ask them: they can tell you if there is a minimum (and what it is) in their own ordinances, or if there is some other law or regulation (e.g. at the county level), they could direct you to it. You might also try contacting your state's department of commerce, which regulates manufactured homes; here is a link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption