What happens when a person with multiple assets dies but doesn’t have a Will?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when a person with multiple assets dies but doesn’t have a Will?

Do grandchildren have rights to any inheritance? Here are the circumstances: My adult son’s father died when was young, his grandfather died several yrs later, his grandmother, who is living,has Alzheimer’s and does not have a will. My son’s father has one brother. Grandmother has multiple assets and as mentioned before, no will. Upon her death, does my son have rights to the percent of inheritance that would have gone to his father.

Asked on August 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The answer varies from state to state. It depends on the intestacy laws in the state where the grandmother lives. In almost every state, your son would inherit his father's share of her estate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption