Can a Will be contested if a father chose not to leave anything to his children from a previous marriage?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a Will be contested if a father chose not to leave anything to his children from a previous marriage?

Asked on June 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

By itself, the fact that he did not leave anything to some of his children is not a proper reason to contest the will. People are allowed to disinherit their children.

You can contest the will if, for example, someone used undue influence to force him to make the will that way, or if he did not have the mental capacity to make a will. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption