Can I get my full rent payment back on my sublease if I found out about a cockroach problem after moving in?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get my full rent payment back on my sublease if I found out about a cockroach problem after moving in?

The lease holder, as well as the other 2 roommates did not disclose to me that there was a cockroach problem in the apartment before I agreed to occupy and pay my t$800 rent. I only stayed one night and found another apartment immediately, but the roommates are telling me they are not obligated to give me my money back because I agreed to stay through the end of the month. They said they might give me a prorated amount back but shouldn’t I get the entire rent back since they neglected to tell me about the roaches? Had they told me about that, I would have never moved in.

Asked on April 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This depends on the terms of the sublease and the responsibilities of the subtenant.  It also depends on the term or whether you were month to month.  If it is an oral lease, this too is a factor.  I would suggest that if the money warrants it, you consult a lawyer.  You could potentially be liable for the whole lease term and you need the propoer elease documents if this is the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption