How to enforce a court order regarding my father paying my college tuition?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to enforce a court order regarding my father paying my college tuition?

In my parents divorce agreement it was decided that each parent would contribute the equivalent of half of the tuition of a local state school each towards paying my own college tuition. Now my father refuses to pay his half because of a falling out we had. Is the divorce agreement legally binding, and am I or my mother able to go into court to have it legally enforced?

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The dissolution decree pertaining to you and college tutition is binding in your favor. I would write your father a note asking that he comply with the court order for payment of a portion of your tuition by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If he fails to comply with your request, you will need to retain an attorney (most likely a family law attorney) to file a petition for an order to show cause regarding contempt of a court order against your father seeking that he pay what is due for tuition and the attorney's fees incurred in bringing the petition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption