If I’m not following a visitation plan, what kind of trouble can I get into?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m not following a visitation plan, what kind of trouble can I get into?

In my divorce decree, I have full custody and the father has reasonable visitation. No specifics are given as to what is reasonable. The bio-dad pretty much comes and goes as he pleases. For the best interests of our child, I try my best to communicate with him to set up a plan for visitation that would work out for all of us but he doesn’t seem to want to comply. I don’t allow the visitation because bio-dad is not providing stability for our child. What trouble am I causing for myself? Also, can I take him to court so the courts can make up a more specific visitation plan?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It's somewhat unusual for a divorce decree to read "reasonable visitation."  Most courts like to set out a standardized routine for the peace of the parties and to help children get fair access to both parents.  "Reasonable" can be a very subjective standard-- so it's going to be difficult for either party to enforce what is reasonable, so it doesn't appear that you'll get in much trouble at this point if he complains about non-compliance as long as you are making efforts to give him access.  You can only get in trouble if you completely cut off all access.  The court could hold you in contempt which could involve paying money, paying attorney's fees for your ex-, jail time, or the judge awarding him makeup visitations days.

Your idea of taking him back to court to request a more specific visitation plan is really your best course of action.  It will protect both of you from any allegations of contempt for interfering with child custody.  It will also be better for your children because it will give them a better routine to follow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption