What to do if in my condo the water pipes busted due to cold in the dry wall?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if in my condo the water pipes busted due to cold in the dry wall?

Unit below me got slight cosmetic defects. Pipes were busted because my french door got opened while I was away. However before I left, I got door locks checked from lock smith and heat was on. I filled for liability with my insurance. My insurance says I am not liable because it was an accident. I did everything I could to best of my knowledge. MY HOA it is my fault. I must have not locked doors correctly. If my insurance doesn’t pay, do I need to pay?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the fact pattern that you have written about with respect to the accident at your home either your insurance carrier will pay for the damages assuming there is coverage or the HOA will assuming the burst pipes are a common area liability. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices insurance law to go over the policies pertaining your property to give you peace of mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption