With beneficiary deeds and only one name on the deed, does the real estate become community property upon inheritance?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

With beneficiary deeds and only one name on the deed, does the real estate become community property upon inheritance?

If sold does the spouse have to sign off on the deed? If this property is put into a trust instead,with only one person named,would the spouse have claim to part of it and would they have to sign the deed if and when it was sold?

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am a bit confused as to what exactly you are worried about so I am going to try and help give you information about rights of inheritance and marital property issues.  Ok, so inheritance is considered separate property always so long as it is not commingled or "transmuted".  That means money is kept in a separate bank account and names are not added to deeds.  Now, real property is harder that just adding name to a deed if say it is used as a marital home and the non owner spouse helps to actively increase its value in some way.  Then that increase can be marital property.  Also, if the property is a rental property and the deed remains separate but the rental proceeds deposited in to a joint account, the proceeds - not the property - are marital.  Now, if you do not sopecifically Will the property to some one else besides your spouse and it becomes part of the pot in your separate estate, it will pas via the terms of the Will or your spouse will share in a portion via the intestacy statute. I would strongly suggest speaking with an estate planner.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption