In mass can a youth softball league force you to buy a fundraiser box of chocolates as part of the registration?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In mass can a youth softball league force you to buy a fundraiser box of chocolates as part of the registration?

Example registration fee 120.00
Fundraiser chocolates 40.00

So it’s a forced fundraiser meaning in
order to get your 40.00 back you have
to sell the box of candy bars.

Asked on April 23, 2016 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This is perfectly legal. There is no inherent right to be in a youth sports league (and no requirement that towns or counties even have youth sports leagues). A youth sports league may set any fees or other financial requirements it likes, and anyone who cannot or does not want to pay the fee or other costs can choose to not sign up (and their family(ies) could try to spearhead the creation of a new league or team). 
Look at it this way: the league could have simply made the registration fee $160. The way they did it, there's a chance you'll get some or all of the $40 for candy back, or if not, you at least get $40 worth of candy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption