If I was married for 4 months, how would I get a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was married for 4 months, how would I get a divorce?

Would I be able to even get a divorce after only being married for such a short amount of time? I’m not sure if I would be able to pay the legal fees. My husband does not work, however I am right on the positive cusp of the poverty line. I’m not sure if I would be able to waive the filing fees but there is simply no realistic way that I would be able to pay them by myself and also be able to pay for my bills and living expenses. Basically, what are my options here?

Asked on August 31, 2017 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In your state, assuming you have no children, you must live wholly separate and apart for 180 days (6 months)--which means you'd have to be able to afford another place, or move in with family and friends--or you must be able to show that your spouse has been committing adultery, abusing you, or doing something else similarly wrongful or even criminal (e.g. felony drug use). As for the filing fees, you can ask the court to waive them and are a good candidate for waiver, but waiver is discretionary; it is not guaranteed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption