What can I do if I cancelled lawn care services from a company 6 months ago but they still serviced my lawn 3 months let and then billed me?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I cancelled lawn care services from a company 6 months ago but they still serviced my lawn 3 months let and then billed me?

I don’t want to be sent to collections for not paying for a cancelled service. There is no contract; I have emails and communication requesting the cancellation. The owner confirmed the email address it was sent to is valid but claims he didn’t receive it and I need to pay. What should I do?

Asked on July 7, 2015 under Business Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can either pay, because you don't want them to sue you (unless you are sued and lose, you do not have to pay); or you can stand your grand, inform the owner that since he confirmed you'd sent the cancellation to the correct email address, you properly notified him--if he does not recall seeing it, that is not your issue, since you sent it to the right place. You'd further inform him that if he takes legal action, you will countersue for filing a frivolous (no merit or baseless) lawsuit, often called "malicious use of legal process." He may still sue, and you may have to defend on the ground that you sent a notice cancelling. Based on what you write, you'd likely win, but if he does sue, you'd at least have to deal with the lawsuit. So it's pay or be prepared to deal with fighting him about the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption