Do I need to get a court order to “evict” friends living in my home?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to get a court order to “evict” friends living in my home?

There is no lease agreement. They receive mail at this address and have lived here for almost a year.

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your "friends" can establish a form of tenancy in your home then yes, you may indeed have to evict them if they will not leave.  Treat them as a month to month tenancy and give them 30 plus days to move.  If they do not go then start eviction proceedings.  I highly recommend consulting with ana ttorney as theis process is very tricky with the notice etc.  If not done properly then it could mess up the eviction proceedings. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption