in Illinois what is considered abandonment by a spouse?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

in Illinois what is considered abandonment by a spouse?

Couple has a fight, spouses are both distressed. Husband more so than
wife. Husband leaves home for a few days, weeks, to get professional help
in dealing with situation. Wife is advised at the time he leaves that he
needs to get help. He still pays bills, lives close by, will still be
involved with kids, etc. Is this a problem if it ultimately ends in
divorce. Children are 18, 17, 15.

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Illinois law does not punish parties for "abandonment" anymore but the state law does allow a ground known as "desertion." And that would really be severing ties and forsaking your responsibilities, which it doesnt sound like that is the case.  It sounds as if you left to give your kids (and you) a healthier environment.   Seek legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption