Can a wife sue her husband’s girlfriend regarding a divorce?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a wife sue her husband’s girlfriend regarding a divorce?

I am filing for divorce; I was separated from my spouse for 2 years prior to meeting my girlfriend. My spouse and I have continued to live apart. She is threatening to have my girlfriend arrested for adultery or sued. Is this possible?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I think that I just asnwered the first part of your question indicating that Illinois is one of the states in the union that has in its criminal code a provision for adultery. The second part deals with alienation of affection laws.  And guess what: Illinois still has those laws on the books.  It sounds, though, that your girlfriend was not the cause of the breakdown of the marriage.  I would against seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption