In Idaho, can an employer request reimbursement for damage to company vehicle by employee while on duty

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In Idaho, can an employer request reimbursement for damage to company vehicle by employee while on duty

I accidentally damaged a company vehicle during the discharge of my duties. My
employer is requiring me to pay the repair costs.

Is this legal in Idaho?

Asked on April 25, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you were at fault in causing the damage--e.g. driving negligently, or unreasonably carelessly--you are liable for the damage you did and the cost to repair. If you refuse to voluntarily pay those costs, they could sue you for the money. They may also terminate you for damaging their vehicle. It doesn't matter if previously, drivers were not held liable: each case is separate, and they can seek reimbursement in this case if they want regardless of what was done previously. You may wish to try to work out a payment plan you can afford with your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption