What to do if my record was not sealed but was supposed to be?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my record was not sealed but was supposed to be?

I did a very stupid thing about 34 years ago and while bored and drunk attempted to steal a car radio. I plead nolo-contendre to a charge of first degree criminal trespass. After 1 year, probation was terminated, at which time it was my understanding that the probation order and record were sealed. (i.e. for all practical purposes, expunged). I believe the record may not have been sealed. Can I seal the record and how did pleading nolo-contendre help?

Asked on March 29, 2013 under Criminal Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see what you need to do if your criminal record is not sealed in order to do so. Possibly due to the age of the offense it will not show up on a backgorund search.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption