In probate court do you have to go through an attorney to subpoena records and/or a person?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In probate court do you have to go through an attorney to subpoena records and/or a person?

Court clerk said that I did. In CT.

Asked on June 3, 2011 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The rules as to subpoenas vary from state to state. In some states attorneys can issue subpoena themselves.  In other states only the courts can issue them (they have to be prepared and submitted to be so ordered for certain things like medical records) to avoid an abuse of power.  Although in Connecticut it appears that an attorney can issue a subpoena it does not preclude the court from issuing one - or an order - for documents or a person if you make the request of the court in a proper way.  If time is of the essence then maybe you should consult with an attorney about your case and pay for limited work to be done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption