Can a landlord show an occupied apartment without the tenant’s permision?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord show an occupied apartment without the tenant’s permision?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country a landlord is entitled to enter into a rented property after giving his or her tenant reasonable notice of the need to enter. Typically a minimum of twenty-four (24) hour notice is needed to be provided to the tenant.

Many times the landlord needs to enter a unit to make repairs, perform maintenance, show the property for sale or for rental.

Usually a telephone call is sufficient noticed followed up by an e mail confirming the date and time.

The tenant is obligated to allow entry into the rented unit per code after reasonable notice for the entry intended is given by the landlord. If the tenant refuses entry, the landlord can obtain a court order allowing such.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption