If we have a jewelry store that has been in the same mall for 17 years, what can we do about the excessive noise caused by neighboring tenants?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have a jewelry store that has been in the same mall for 17 years, what can we do about the excessive noise caused by neighboring tenants?

About 4 weeks ago a gym opened next door that plays very loud music and loud amplified coaching. There is a movie theater and parking garage below both suites and we are all on a earthquake proof structure that moves with vibration. There are 15 treadmills and hanging weights that cause large amounts of vibration into our suite as well as the music and coaches voice, 1 hour at a time, varying from 3 classes to 5 classes per day. Making it very difficult to keep our client’s attention while buying things as expensive as diamonds and engagement rings as well as our own focus and sanity. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Commercial leases are very different from residential leases.  The "habitability" issue and landlord responsibilities are not the same. But it does not mean that one tenant's right to operate can interfere with another tenant's same right. While this may sound like a cop out: read your lease carefully.  See what it says.  And call your landlord and tell him or her that the noise level has increased to such an extent that it is penetrating your space.  Invite him or her in to sit and listen. Maybe he or she needs to sound proof that gym. The gym owner also should ne involved.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption