Will filing for bankruptcy help me get a suspended driver’s license back?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will filing for bankruptcy help me get a suspended driver’s license back?

My license is suspended for unpaid fines. I have no accidents or DUI’s. I really need my license now. I have a few thousand dollars in fines to pay. I have searched for legal aid for traffic cases and I cannot find any.

Asked on January 16, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, it will not. A bankruptcy discharges debts, but it does not erase them from ever having happened; thus, if a license is suspended for unpaid fines, the bankruptcy will not let you regain it. Also, bankruptcy will affect you for 7 - 10 years after filing it--bad credit, difficulty getting financing or loans, etc. You probably should contact the relevant authorities and see if you can't enter into a payment plan you can afford with their agreement that your license will be restored so long as you make the payment plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption