Am I allowed to take a 7 week leave of absence for undisclosed “personal reasons”?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I allowed to take a 7 week leave of absence for undisclosed “personal reasons”?

I have an opportunity for paid international travel for 7 weeks. Can my employer elect to not hire me back? If so, am I entitled to any unemployment compensation?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have no legal right to take a leave of absence from work, except and only to the extent that either 1) you have a contract allowing you take a "sabattcal" or leave (like some college professors or corporate researchers may have); or 2) you are taking the leave for medical reasons, and both you and your employer are covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Otherwise, your employer may terminate you if you try, or even request, a leave of absence and is under no obligation to rehire you.  Furthermore, you would not be entitled to unemployment compensation--unemployment compensation is for those who are involuntarily separated (fired or laid off) from work, and not for cause, not for someone who voluntarily leaves to pursue an enriching or fun opportunity. Your request to leave or miss work, when you don't have grounds for it, could be taken as resignation; or if you do miss work without permission, that would be grounds for termination for cause, and termination for cause, such as for unauthorized absence, makes one ineligible for  unemployment compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption