If I sold my 14×70 mobile home about 6 months ago and signed the title over but am still owed $800, how can I collect?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I sold my 14×70 mobile home about 6 months ago and signed the title over but am still owed $800, how can I collect?

The price I sold it to the buyer was $7000. She gave me $6,200 cash and still owes me $800. I have her signature on a paper but I signed the title to her because it was on rented land and the landlord would not let her live there if it was not in her name. Can I take her to court to collect the rest of my money or what would you suggest?

Asked on January 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that is how you recover money from someone who violates an agreement to pay you a sum--by suing her. You would sue for breach of contract, and would need to show, by credible testimony and/or documentation, that there was an agreement for her to buy the home for $7,000, that you gave her the title, but that she only gave you $6,200. For $800, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption