If 15 months ago I hired a local woman to do some work on a quilt with a verbal agreement which she breached, how do I get my property back?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 15 months ago I hired a local woman to do some work on a quilt with a verbal agreement which she breached, how do I get my property back?

After attempting to contact her for most of a year, I gave her a completion date of just over 3 months ago. She agreed. However, the quilt was not completed. I made multiple attempts to contact her and was finally able to about 2 weeks ago. I clearly stated that she was to return my property immediately (that day) to my place of work. She responded “OK” and hung up the phone but the quilt was not delivered. I have made many attempts via phone and voice mail which she will not respond to, in person at her residential address and via certified mail. I have not been able to make contact. Is my next step small claims court? Is there another avenue I should try first?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Business Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In a case like this, when the other party has violated the agreement and is not returning your property--and not even responding to you--you first, last, and only recourse is to sue her; there is no other way to get the property back from her and/or get monetary compensation. For the amount at stake, suing in small claims, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") is the only practical choice. You can get intructions on filing the lawsuit and serving the papers, and most likely also sample or template forms, from your court, either in person or onine.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption