What to do if my husband has not paid child care costs as agreed?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband has not paid child care costs as agreed?

About 2 years ago, my now ex-husband and I signed and filed a separation agreement. In that agreement it was agreed that each of us would pay 1/2 of child care costs related to our jobs. This was in effect until 7 months ago when that portion of the agreement was amended. My ex has and continues to refuse to pay for daycare/ for a period of 9 months (ending at the time of the amendment). What actions would be supported legally for recovery of this money and what court would hear this if it comes to that?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your agreements are considered contracts under the law and so all your actions against your husband would be based upon contract law in your state.  You would sue for breach or enforcement of the terms.  In a divorce the agreements terms are incorporated in to the court's order so contempt is another avenue to pursue.  Not so here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption