Can I write my own Will and use the language I wish to use as long as I have 2 witnesses to it and name an executor?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I write my own Will and use the language I wish to use as long as I have 2 witnesses to it and name an executor?

What else would I need?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say "write" do you mean to hand write the Last Will and Testament? That is known as a "holograhic" will and those types of Wills are not accepted in every state - in fact most states do not accept them - and if it is accepted then it is generally limited to certain conditions (military personnel in times of war, etc.).  Also, each state has their own requirements for what makes a valid Will and there has to be that language in it: of sound mind, revoke all prior Wills, etc.  And some sates require a "ceremony" or sorts as to the witnesses signing. Please consider hiring some one to do this for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption