How long can an employer keep an employee on administrative leave with no pay and not tell what led them to take this action?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can an employer keep an employee on administrative leave with no pay and not tell what led them to take this action?

I was put on administrative leave almost a month ago and as of today. yet, I haven’t heard anything from my employer. When I contact the general manager, she tells me that she hasn’t talked to the owner, a franchise hotel, in regards to my situation. She also states that she doesn’t know what I’m being accused of or any proof showing that I have done anything wrong. She said that they are just mad because they found out about my dating the ex-general manager, which the owners are not too happy with or approve. So, she thinks that’s why they don’t want me on the hotel property but they haven’t showed her proof of my doing anythings wrong.

Asked on November 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Does your treatent violate an employment contract or union agreement or constitute some form of legally actionable discrimnation? If not, then you are an "at will" employee which means that you can be suspended (or terminated) for any reason or no reason at all. Additionally, your employer need not pay you during this time or even inform you as to when you may return to work. That having been said, at some point you may qualify for unemployment benefits; you can check with your state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption