In a rush to get divorced, I signed an ‘un-modifiable’ maintenance agreement.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In a rush to get divorced, I signed an ‘un-modifiable’ maintenance agreement.

How ‘un-modifiable’ is ‘un-modifiable’? Is there a way out, or do I have to wait until someone sweeps her off her feet or I die? I am to a point that almost my entire paycheck is garnished. This is for the state of Missouri.


Asked on August 2, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, an agreement is enforceable as per its plain terms. If the agreement says it is "unmodifiable," then most courts would conclude it is just that. That said, an agrement is enforced by its terms (i.e. by its *exact* language) and different judges see things different ways; if this is economically killing you (which seems to be the case), bring the agreement to a reputable local divorce/family law attorney (you want a local lawyer, since they will know how the local judges tend to view things) to review with you, to see what options you might have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption