In a collection lawsuit do I need to include my husband’s personal info and bank info, if the suit is only in my name?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In a collection lawsuit do I need to include my husband’s personal info and bank info, if the suit is only in my name?

We have joint accounts.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the lawsuit only pertains to you and there is no judgment yet, then you most likely do not have to reference anything about your spouse. However, if there is a judgment against you and your state is a community property state, there is a very good chance that the information requested concerning your husband is allowed to be given to the judgment creditor.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer debt to further assist you concerning any additional questions that you may have. Be aware, a joint account would be subject to a judgment levy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption