What can I do if 3 years ago VA blood work showed that I tested positive for the Hepatitis A virus but I was not informed of the results?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if 3 years ago VA blood work showed that I tested positive for the Hepatitis A virus but I was not informed of the results?

I discovered them on my own this year using at VA database that archives blood panels. Between that time and now, I have had liver blood work done showing elevated liver enzymes levels. I had also been admitted to the ER due to a negative niacin reaction. The ER doctors at the time asked me if I had Hepatitis to which I responded in the negative, as at that time I was unaware. There are many lifestyle choices I would have made had I known I was positive for Hepatitis. For example, I would have told my partner, discontinued the use of acetaminophen, discontinued the use of alcohol, etc. Do I have a case?

Asked on March 25, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

IF you can trace a significant and lasting disability or impairment, reduction in life expectancy, or costs (such as medical costs) from the failure to tell you about the results, then you may have a viable malpractice case. But without some concrete physical injury or economic cost which can be shown to have flowed from this failure, there's no point to a lawsuit: you can only recover money for actual injury or costs, not for potential or hypothetical injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption