If I went to the hospital 5 years ago when I was only 17 and was still under my parents care at the time, do I have to pay medical bills now that I am over the age of 18?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I went to the hospital 5 years ago when I was only 17 and was still under my parents care at the time, do I have to pay medical bills now that I am over the age of 18?

I was still in high school and living with my parents but now have almost $600 of medical bills showing up on my credit report and bill collectors wanting me to pay it.

Asked on October 16, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In most, if not all states, a minor lacks the capacity or legal ability to enter into a contract. Therefore, you should not pay the bill; you are not legally obligated for  debt incurred as a minor even though you have now reached the age of majority.  That having beens said, there is a remote possibility of your having some responsibility for this debt based under the legal theory of "unjust enrichment". So since you benefited from the services the provider should receive the reasonable compensation for the value of those services. However the creditor would have to sue in court asserting unjust enrichment and thi probably wouldn't happen unless the amount owed is quite large.
At this point, you can respond to the creditor demanding to see proof of the debt and an explanation as to how a minor child can be bound to a contract that they did not expressly enter (that would likely be enough to get them to back down); the creditor must respond within 30 days and it could likely end the collection efforts since you will not be party to the contract. Then send a letter mentioning the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act) and demanding the creditor cease all correspondence/communication regarding this debt. If they persist in its collection, you should consider contacting your attorney general’s office and/or contacting an attorney who would take on the case on a contingency basis (attorney’s fees and related costs can be collected under the FDCPA).
Note: Your parents are probably are not off the hook here; they are likely still responsible for the bill.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption