What to do about dental malpractice?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about dental malpractice?

About 3 years ago, I met a dentist who lived out of state. He said that he would give me a great price on dental veneers, so I flew too his office twice to have the work done. Before leaving the second time when the work was permanent, I noticed that one of the veneers was chipped near the gum line. I asked about it and he said, “If it becomes a problem we will cross that bridge when we come to it”. Well, it has become a problem. He says he will fix it but that I have to pay to fly there again. Should I be responsible for the travel expenses to fix his mistake?

Asked on August 1, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the care he provided (e.g. installing a chipped veneer; or chipping it during installation) was negligent, or careless, that may be malpractice; if it was malpractice, he would be liable, or financially responsible, for the medical/dental costs to correct it and for other costs or injuries you suffer. However, if he will not voluntarily compensate you to your satisfaction, you'd have to sue him to recover compensation; and medical or dental malpractice cases can be complicated, expensive and time consuming to bring--among other things, you would need a dental expert witness, who will not work cheap. It is therefore not a given that it would be worthwhile to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption