Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

A J-1 visa allows temporary or limited entry of an individual into the United States under what is called an Exchange-Visitor Program. The goal of the program is to promote the exchange of information and cultural experiences between the United States and other countries. This visa category is obtainable only through a U.S. government-approved Exchange-Visitor Program.

Finding a Sponsoring Agent

The first step in the application process is to find a sponsoring agency. Although immigration laws use the term agency, it includes any businesses, educational institutions or medical facilities that have applied to participate in the program. Once you find a sponsoring agency, you will need to obtain acceptance from the agency to sponsor you. You should look for an agency or group in a field related to your profession experiences or goals. For example, if you are a nurse, you will have a greater chance of obtaining a J-1 sponsor in the medical field. You would have fewer chances finding a sponsor in a fine arts field, like a graduate program in music. 

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The J-1 Visa Process

After you find a sponsoring agency, they will usually provide you with the necessary forms and a list of documents required to complete your application for a J-1 visa. After completing the application, you submit the forms, supporting documents, and pay any appropriate processing fee through the consulate or embassy in your country. They then schedule an interview to determine if the program in which you are applying is truly a fit for your experiences. Even if the sponsoring agency supports granting you entry into the United States, the final decision is made by the U.S. State Department through the embassy or consulate. Once your J-1 visa is approved, you may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before your program is to begin. After you arrive, your activities in the United States must be consistent with the program under which you applied. For example, if you are a doctor and applied to work for a medical school, your activities must be limited to that purpose. You cannot change your employment to a private hospital a month after entry. Because the J-1 operates to provide only a temporary entry, you must return to your country of origin at the conclusion of the program.