What is the purpose of the Exchange-Visitor Program in the United States?

The J-1 Visa Exchange-Visitor Program evolved through an amendment to the Mutual Education and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961. The main purpose of the J-1 visa program is to promote the exchange of information in different fields. If an individual is a teacher in a new area of science, they may be eligible for a J-1 visa, even if the area of science or their profession is not specifically stated on the list. J-1 visa programs are not limited to public sector programs.

Can I extend my J-1 visa?

Generally, timeframes and timelines for a J-1 visa are strictly adhered to because they exist for a limited purpose. Consequently, it tends to be difficult to add time even at the beginning or the end of a J-1 visa. For example, you cannot arrive more than 30 days before your exchange program begins. Once the purpose and time period for your J-1 visa has expired, you must return to your country of origin.

How does the J-1 visa work?

A J-1 visa allows temporary or limited entry of an individual into the United States under what is called an Exchange-Visitor Program. The goal of the program is to promote the exchange of information and cultural experiences between the United States and other countries. The J-1 visa category is obtainable only through a U.S. government-approved Exchange-Visitor Program.

How long can I stay in the U.S. on a J-1 visa?

Every J-1 visa is limited by its category and defined objectives. Namely, a student visa is for someone to go to school. A J-1 visa for a teacher limits that person to teaching. A sponsoring agency may terminate your participation in the program before the time your J-1 student visa was set to expire. Although your J-1 visa was not due to expire for another 12 months, the purpose of the program was effectively ended by the sponsoring agency.

What is a J-1 visa?

The J-1 visa category is typically used by foreign students, medical interns and residents, business trainees, scholars and experts. The J-1 visa is the predominant visa category among temporary student visas as it offers a wider variety of educational options; however, the program is not restricted to students. The J-1 visa came out of the intention to promote exchange of information between countries.