Can I work in the U.S. without a green card?

You can work in the U.S. without a green card only if you have a non-immigrant visa such as an H, L, or O visa or an employment authorization card (EAC). Alternatively, employers may file petitions for labor certification upon meeting certain requirements, such as the ability to pay the proffered wage. Foreign exchange students holding F, J, or M visas must seek permission to work from their school’s foreign exchange advisors to unless their visa explicitly provides otherwise.

How does one obtain employment-sponsored immigration?

Employment-sponsored immigrants can come to this country under strict numerical limits. In many case, they must obtain certification from the Department of Labor and be paid at least the prevailing wage in that industry and geographic region. There are several mechanisms for temporarily working in the United States. Most popular is the H-1B visa category.