What is the fee for Form N-400, the application for U.S. citizenship?

The filing fee as of 2017 for submission of the Form N-400 is $725.00. This fee includes the cost for the application ($640.00) and a biometric fee of $85.00. The biometric fee covers the expense of being fingerprinted and photographed after your application is submitted. Your fee must be included with your application. The USCIS does not accept cash. The form of your payment must be a check or money order drawn through a U.S. bank.

Where do I go to get fingerprinted for my application for permanent legal residence in the U.S.?

As you are completing your forms to obtain permanent legal status or naturalization, you will notice several instructions regarding fingerprint cards. You do not submit a card with your citizenship application. Any fingerprint cards submitted with your application will be rejected. After the INS receives your application, the INS officer will instruct you where to go to be fingerprinted. The INS only accepts fingerprints from an authorized fingerprint site.

Which INS form(s) will I need to apply for citizenship in the United States?

Every application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is riddled with a series of forms and procedures. The main form that you will need to apply for naturalization is the Form N-400. If you have a child under eighteen years of age that you want to apply for citizenship, you would use Form N-600. If you had a relative that applied a few years back, do not simply accept a copy of the form they used.