I am not qualified for asylum status, but I fear being tortured when I return home. Is there any other recourse available to prevent this?

In addition to asking for asylum and withholding of deportation or removal, a foreign national can give evidence to the court that you are faced with the possibility of being tortured, for any reason, should you be returned to your country. There is no requirement that torture be on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion – which is the traditional bases for asylum eligibility.

Who Is Eligible for Political Asylum?

An immigrant asylum seeker is eligible for political asylum in the U.S. if they are subject to persecution in their native country because of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Asylum seekers must be located within the United States or at a U.S. port of entry at the time of application.