I’m paying spousal support to a spouse with a ssi disability for the past 12 years

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m paying spousal support to a spouse with a ssi disability for the past 12 years

We were married for 10 years, how can i ask the court to modify it to stop having
to make any more payments. She had gotten disability a few months before our
divorce, for diabetes and anxiety. If there health is worst do to other health
problems, i’m i still responsible to keep paying her. What can i do to get rid of
having to keep paying

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Spousal support is somewhat rare in Texas because so many judges still have the 'anti-alimony' mentality.  However, since you already have an order in place... the order will control until modified.  You need to file a motion to modify support obligation. After the motion is filed, you can then set it for a hearing to see if the judge will terminate or at least modify the support obligation.
The success of your motion will depend on any contractual agreements you had with your wife, the attitude of the judge, and the wording in your final decree.  Before you file the motion, arrange for a consultation with at least two attorneys to get a better pulse of your chances.  Many family law attorneys are now offering free consultations.  This is a good first step of information gathering before you begin to expend funds on expensive litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption