Can I undo my stepmom’s adoption ofme?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I undo my stepmom’s adoption ofme?

When I was 17, my stepmom adopted me before my father passed away. After his passing I’ve gone though 4 years of emotional and financial abuse from both my stepmom and stepsister. At this point, I want to cut all ties and undo the adoption if possible.

Asked on August 16, 2011 Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  There is not way, unfortunately, to un do an adoption.  Once she adopted you she stands in the same shoes as your natural parent and given the same rights.  You can, however, sever all ties with them not that you are an adult.  And if they persist on harassing you you can file for a restraining order against them.  From my calculations you are 21 years old.  You are an adult and you do not have to have any relationship with them at all. Thre are other options like being adopted by someone else as an adult but I do not know if that is an option for you.  I would seek some legal help if you can.  Possibly from legal aid?  You did not dwell on the financial aspect of the question but once you were 18 your inheritance was yours.  And if she has done anything to in any way abuse her "title" - and it is only a title - as Mother then you have legal recourse.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption