If I’m looking for my boyfriend in Ireland to move to the U.S., what visa options and costs are associated with that?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m looking for my boyfriend in Ireland to move to the U.S., what visa options and costs are associated with that?

About 8 months ago, I met an Irishman online. We struck up a friendship that almost immediately developed into a relationship. He returned home last month having spent over 3 weeks with me here in the U.S. I will be going to Ireland 3 months and staying until the end for 2 months after that. We’ve decided that we both want to be with each other and see our futures together. So, what we want or need from your firm is to know how best to make this happen. Which would be better to pursue from timing and cost perspective, the K-1 Fiance Visa or the Spousal IR 1/CR 1 visa? Our goal is to be together, married and living as husband and wife.

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Immigration Law, Arizona


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can either petition for his K-1 fiance visa or you can get married and then petition for him as your spouse.  Both processes will take about a year from filing to visa issuance.  It really depends on whether you want to get married in the US or abroad and whether you want him to be able to come in to the US already as a green card holder with all the benefits thereof (ability to work, etc).  please let me know if you have any additional questions or how i can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption