I’m I responsible for the property taxes after my property has been sold for nonpayment of taxes?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m I responsible for the property taxes after my property has been sold for nonpayment of taxes?

It has been 3 years since the property
has been sold. The land was rezoned
commercial I believe in 2012 without
notification or hearing. The house was
knocked down in 2014 or 2015 without
notification. I’ve recently been served
to pay the taxes for property at 1940
hwy. 43 south in canton ms

Asked on May 27, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible for whatever portion of the taxes were not satisfied or paid off when the home was sold for nonpayment. If, for example, you owed $50k in taxes and (after paying the cost of sale--e.g. the sheriff's fee) $35k was realized from the sale, you'd still be liable for the other $15k.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption