What to do if I’m being sued over a fender bender for $45,000 while driving Lyft?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being sued over a fender bender for $45,000 while driving Lyft?

While doing Lyft I rear ended an uber driver going over a hill street and traffic was backed. We both had passengers. It was just a fender bender and we exchanged insurance. Then we continued on our way working. Now, after 8 months, I get a summons suing me for $45,000. He got a lawyer. I have 20 days to response to the Regional Court. Besides contacting Lyft and my insurance, do I look for a lawyer? Obviously this guy is a fraud. What can I do?

Asked on January 19, 2019 under Accident Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are an employee of Lyft, then Lyft's insurance carrier should provide you with an attorney.
If you are an independent contractor for Lyft, then your insurance should provide you with an attorney.
The attorney will file an answer to the complaint (lawsuit) for you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption